The stone keep at Norwich castle was probably built between 1095 and 1121. It was designed as a Royal palace, although no king ever lived there. The keep was used as a county gaol from the 14th century until 1883. When the gaol was moved the keep was restored and converted into a museum which first opened to the public in 1894.
- Norwich Castle is situated on Castle Mound in the centre of Norwich
- Norwich Castle Museum & Art Gallery, Castle Hill, Norwich, NR1 3JU
- Open to the public. Admission fee
- For further information visit www.museums.norfolk.gov.uk
View Larger Map