Peveril Castle is dramatically sited at the top of a limestone ridge overlooking the upper end of the Hope Valley. It was founded soon after the Norman Conquest of 1066 by William Peveril. Unusually it had stone walls from the outset but it was greatly strengthened by King Henry II after the castle came into royal hands in 1155. It was Henry who added the square stone keep. Later kings used it mainly as a centre from which the revenues from local lead mines and royal hunting rights could be controlled. The castle was never besieged but by the 16th Century it was described as ruinous, although local courts still met there.
- Via the market place in Castleton, 15 miles west of Sheffield on A6187. The site does not have a car park although parking is available at the visitor centre, which is located between 5 and 10 minutes walk away at the bottom of a hill.
- Peveril Castle, Market Place, Castleton, Derbyshire, S33 8WQ
- English Heritage. Open to the public. Admission fee
- For further information visit www.english-heritage.org.uk