Ardvreck Castle is situated on a rocky promontory that juts into Loch Assynt. The three-storey tower was built by the MacLeods of Assynt in two phases around 1500 and 1590. A rampart cut off the peninsula.
In 1650, James Graham, Marquis of Montrose was imprisoned in the castle after his defeat at the Battle of Carbisdale. He was handed over to the Covenanters who took him to Edinburgh where he was hanged.
In 1672 the castle was sacked by the Mackenzies and subsequently replaced by nearby Calda House.
- On the shore of Loch Assynt, off the A837 north-west of Inchnadamph
- Open access at any reasonable time
View Larger Map