Claypotts Castle is a z-plan tower house built by John Strachan between 1569 and 1588. It consists of a main block of three storeys and a garret, and two large round towers built on diagonally opposite corners. Each of the towers is topped by overhanging square garret chambers.
In the 1620's the castle was sold to Sir William Graham of Claverhouse. One of his descendants was John Graham, 1st Viscount Dundee, who's exploits at the Battle of Killiecrankie in 1689 were immortalised by Sir Walter Scott in the song 'Bonnie Dundee'.
The castle was last occupied in the 19th century when it was used to house farm labourers.
- Off the A92 east of Dundee at Claypotts Junction
- Claypotts Castle Gardens, Broughty Ferry, Dundee, DD5 3JY
- Historic Scotland. View exterior only
- For further information visit www.historic-scotland.gov.uk
View Larger Map