Most of the buildings at Dumbarton Castle date from the 17th and early 18th centuries when new artillery fortifications were constructed, but the rock upon which they stand has a long history of occupation.
From the 5th century AD until 1018, Dumbarton Rock was the capital of the British kingdom of Strathclyde. In medieval Scotland, Dumbarton (derived from the Gaelic name Dun Breatann which means "the fortress of the Britons") was an important royal castle, built by Alexander II of Scotland around 1220. The rock continued to serve a military role until the end of the Second World War.
- On Dumbarton Rock overlooking the River Clyde on the south side of Dumbarton.
- Dumbarton Castle, Castle Road, Dumbarton, Dunbartonshire G82 1JJ
- Historic Scotland. Open to the public. Entrance fee
- For further information visit www.historic-scotland.gov.uk
View Larger Map